Mazars in Ferghana and Xinjiang -- An International Conference, Tokyo,
Organizer: Minoru SAWADA, Yasushi SHINMEN, Jun SUGAWARA, Yayoi KAWAHARA
Venue: Conference room, 4th floor OGURA Building, Suidobashi, TOKYO
- “Study on Islamic Sacred Places in Central Asia” project, sponsered by
TheNara International Foundation -Commemorating the Silk Road Exposition.
- “Investigative Study regarding Transformations in Uighur Communities and
Ethnic Identities in Central Asia” project, sponsered by a JSPS Grant-in-Aid
for Scientific Research (research category "A")
- Preservation, Compilation, and Annotation of Mazar Documents in Ferghana
and Xinjiang”project, sponsered by the Toyota Foundation.
- “Online Resources for Inner Asian Studies (ORIAS)” project, subproject
of GICAS (Grammatological Informatics based on Corpora of Asian Scripts),
Research Institute for Languages and Cultures of Asia and Africa, TUFS
Address: 1-11-14 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku,
Official Site: http://c-faculty.chuo-u.ac.jp/~shinmen/mazar2005/index.htm
1st Day (26th of Nov)
Welcome speech: Minoru SAWADA (Organizer)
Keynote: Yasushi SHINMEN （Organizer）
SESSION 1 (Chair: Yasushi TONAGA, Kyoto University)
- Minoru SAWADA (Toyama University, JAPAN), "Towards Classification
of Mazars in Ferghana Valley"
- Ashirbek MUMINOV (Institute of Oriental Studies of the Ministry of Education
and Science, KAZAKHSTAN), "Historical and Theological Interpretations
of Sacred Places in Ferghana Valley"
- Nadirbek ABDULAHATOV (Ferghana Regional Museum, UZBEKISTAN), "Farg'ona
vodiysida Hazrat Ali ('Ali ibn Abi Talib) kul'ti" (in Uzbek language)
(Cult of 'Ali ibn Abi Talib in Fergana Valley)
- Rahile DAWUT (Xinjiang University, CHINA), "Mazar Worship among the
Reception : Italian Restaurant <Favore>
2nd Day (27th of Nov)
SESSION 2 (Hisao KOMATSU, Tokyo University)
- Edmund WAITE (London University, UK), "From Holy Man to National Villain:
Popular Historical Narratives about Apaq Khoja in Kashgar, Xinjiang Province
- Alexandre PAPAS (EHESS, FRANCE), "Promoting Saints and Mazars: The
religious policy of Afaq Khwaja in 17th-Century Tarim Basin"
- Sergei ABASHIN (Russian Academy of Sciences, RUSSIA), "Mazary Boboi-ob
i Suleiman-tog: sravnitelnyi analiz" (in Russian) (Mazars of
Bobo-ob and Suleiman-tog: Comparative Analysis)
- Thierry Zarcone (CNRS, FRANCE), "Atypical Mausoleum: the case of the
Solomon Throne (Kirghizistan): itinerary- pilgrimage, qadamgah and demons-cult"
SESSION 3 (Chair: Hiroshi UMEMURA, Chuo University)
- Jianxin WANG (Zhongshan University, CHINA), "Cultural Connotation
of Saint Mausoleums in the Turpan Basin: An Anthropological Approach to
Uyghur Islam and Folk Beliefs"
- Jun SUGAWARA (Tokyo University of Foreign Studies, JAPAN), "Mausoleums and the Historical Sources in East Xinjiang"
- Yayoi KAWAHARA (JSPS Research Fellow, JAPAN), "Tazkira of Qutayba
ibn Muslim and his Mazar in Ferghana Valley"
- Yasushi SHINMEN (Chuo University, JAPAN), "Buzurg Khan Tora and his
Mazar at Katta Kenagas Village in Ferghana Valley"
GENERAL DISCUSSION (Chair: Masami HAMADA, Kyoto University)
- Hodong KIM (Seoul National University, SOUTH KOREA)
- Tetsuya OHTOSHI (Kyushu University, JAPAN)
- Setsuko YOSHIDA (Shikokugakuin University, JAPAN)